Income Tax Returns you should file or Not ?

Income Tax Returns you should file or Not ?

The New Financial year has been started so far and the due dates of efiling of Income tax returns for last financial is now close for individuals and those are not in 44AB,so every one wants to know that they are cover for filing of ITR or Not ?

Now see who is required to file Income Tax Return in the following situations:

In case of individuals, if gross total income (before allowing any deductions under section 80C to 80U) exceeds Rs.2,50,000/-. This limit is Rs 3,00,000 for senior citizens ( who are more than 60 years old but less than 80 years old) or Rs 5,00,000 for super senior citizens (who are more than 80 years old).
In case of a company or a firm irrespective of whether there is any income or loss or NIL income during the financial year, it is mandatory to file income tax return.
E filing of Income Tax return is compulsory if you want to claim income tax refund.
If you want to carry forward loss under any head of income, it is mandatory to file IT Return.
Return filing is mandatory if you are a Resident individual and have an asset or financial interest in an entity located outside of India. (Not applicable to RNORs).
If you are a Resident and have signing authority in a foreign account. (Not applicable to RNORs).
You are required to file an income tax return when you are in receipt of income derived from property held under a trust for charitable or religious purposes or a political party or a research association, news agency, educational or medical institution, trade union, a not for profit university or educational institution, a hospital, infrastructure debt fund, any authority, body or trust.
If tax has been deducted from your income, then you must file income tax return to avoid notice from the income tax department as it has information about your income.
If you have entered into any transaction listed under the Annual information Return (AIR) then you must file your IT Return as the income already has notice about you being involved in such transactions and may send you a notice asking about your income tax return. Examples of such transactions are sale/ purchase of immovable property above Rs. 30 lakhs, payment through credit card of more than Rs. 2 lakhs during the financial year etc.
If you have been filing your income tax return during the previous years then it is advisable that you file income tax return for the current financial year also even though you may not be liable to just to avoid a notice from the income tax department.
If you are planning to take a loan or apply for a visa, a proof of return filing may be required from you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one × three =